Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Review: The Lost Prince by Julia Kagawa

The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #1)
Description & image from Goodreads.com
Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’s dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myths and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

My name is Ethan Chase. And I may not live to see my eighteenth birthday.


My Thoughts:

It is no exaggeration that Julia Kagawa is one of my favorite authors.  When people ask me to recommend a book to them, the Iron Fey series is always at the top of my list.  I was bursting at the seams to read The Lost Prince.  It is everything I expected and more!
The Lost Prince is from Ethan Chase's POV.  Ethan is Meghan's brother who was kidnapped in the first book The Iron King.   He's 17 now and very much a troubled teen dealing with problems only those who've dealt with the Fey can understand.  He hasn't seen his sister in years and his parents are overprotective to 10th degree.  Ethan, like all her characters, is written so well I had no problem seeing him in my head.  He is consumed with keeping his family safe and staying away from all things Fey or "Them" as he refers.  I loved his snarky attitude and his willingness to help others even when it goes against his own instincts.  When Kenzie comes into the picture she is just what he needs to help him find balance in the two worlds.  Kenzie is full of gusto.  She wants all the adventure out of life.  She saw right through Ethan's walls to the real hero underneath.  
Prince Kierran was unexpected surprise in this book.  I can't wait to see how he develops and where his part of the story goes.  He and Ethan's relationship reminded of Ash & Puck. 
I was thrilled to see the appearance, though just briefly, of my favorite characters from the previous books.  Ash Ash Ash, oh how I anticipated reading about my favorite prince.  I have also missed Puck and his comments that make me laugh out loud, startling anyone near me.  A new character that I really enjoyed was Razor.  He sounds adorable!
The story is fantastic; once again taking my imagination into a rich world with fascinating characters and amazing scenery.  Leanansidhe's mansion sounds awesome with side of scary.  
You don't have to have read the Iron Fey series to read this book, but you are short changing yourself if you don't.  If I could be written into a fictional world I'd choose this one hands down!

Review copy provided by the publisher through NetGalley

1 comment:

Are you leaving me a comment?! Oh how I love it when you do that!!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Magic Medley and Very Own World kits by Irene Alexeeva