Monday, March 5, 2018

Review: More Than We Can Tell by Brigid Kemmerer



*While this book exists in the same universe as Letters to the Lost, it is a standalone title.*


Rev Fletcher is battling the demons of his past. But with loving adoptive parents by his side, he’s managed to keep them at bay...until he gets a letter from his abusive father and the trauma of his childhood comes hurtling back.


Emma Blue spends her time perfecting the computer game she built from scratch, rather than facing her parents’ crumbling marriage. She can solve any problem with the right code, but when an online troll’s harassment escalates, she’s truly afraid.


When Rev and Emma meet, they both long to lift the burden of their secrets and bond instantly over their shared turmoil. But when their situations turn dangerous, their trust in each other will be tested in ways they never expected. This must-read story will once again have readers falling for Brigid Kemmerer’s emotional storytelling.

My Thoughts:
I read Letter to the Lost and LOVED it. I loved the way it approached parent/child relationships.  This book does much the same but with different characters.  Rev is Declan's best friend so we got to know him a little in Letters to the Lost.  More Than We Can Tell is his story along with Emma's.  Both characters are dealing with some really heavy issues in their lives.  At first they confide in just each other.  But they soon discover that their actions don't just affect them.  I enjoyed learning more about Rev's background and watching him face down his demons.  It was so touching as Rev figured out how truly loved and supported he was.  It hit me hard in the "feels".  Emma is still figuring out who her "people" are.  I think she definitely put her faith in the wrong ones and it took her a while to see who was really there for her.  Both characters were pragmatic and complex.  I felt that Emma's story was left a little open ended, but nothing that really bothered me.  I kind of wanted to find out what would finally happen with her and her mom.  The best part was not only getting to see Rev close a huge and painful chapter in his life, but getting to Declan doing the same.  While you don't have to read Letters to the Lost to enjoy this book, I highly recommend reading them both.  I hope if this series continues we get to see how Matthew turns out.
Recommended for 15 and up.  
Mild to moderate language and violent issues.

I received this book from NetGalley in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you leaving me a comment?! Oh how I love it when you do that!!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Magic Medley and Very Own World kits by Irene Alexeeva