Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Review: The Orphan King by Sigmund Brouwer

Description & Image from goodreads.com

The last words of a dying woman would change the life of young Thomas. Raised behind monastery walls, he knows nothing of his mysterious past or imminent destiny. But now, in the heart of medieval England, a darkness threatens to strangle truth. An ancient order tightens their ghostly grip on power, creating fear and exiling those who would oppose them. Thomas is determined fulfill his calling and bring light into the mysterious world of the Druids and leaves the monastery on an important quest.

Thomas quickly finds himself in unfamiliar territory, as he must put his faith in unusual companions—a cryptic knight, a child thief, and the beautiful, silent woman whom may not be all she seems.  From the solitary life of an orphan, Thomas now finds himself tangled in the roots of both comradery and suspicion.

Can he trust those who would join his battle…or will his fears force him to go on alone?
 


My Thoughts:
This book was like the preview to a really good movie you can't wait to see.  While we learn some of Thomas's story, there is so much more to learn.  Since this book seems to just barely touch on the whole story it was a little slow paced.  The writing was good but I had a hard time connecting to the characters since so much about them was kept a mystery.  I'm sure it will all be revealed in the next books of the series, but for now it's left me feeling indifferent.  It wasn't clear until the very end who was actually on the side of good or evil.  It seemed to me that the big battle scene at the end was a bit anti-climactic.  The positive thing that comes from all this lack of information is that I will be reading the next book to find out more.  I have high hopes it will move the story on at faster pace.  Too soon to tell if I will recommend the series yet.  I'll keep you posted.

For ages 13 & up.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you leaving me a comment?! Oh how I love it when you do that!!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Magic Medley and Very Own World kits by Irene Alexeeva