Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Review: The Jewel by Amy Ewing

The Jewel means wealth. The Jewel means beauty. The Jewel means royalty. But for girls like Violet, the Jewel means servitude. Not just any kind of servitude. Violet, born and raised in the Marsh, has been trained as a surrogate for the royalty—because in the Jewel the only thing more important than opulence is offspring.

Purchased at the surrogacy auction by the Duchess of the Lake and greeted with a slap to the face, Violet (now known only as #197) quickly learns of the brutal truths that lie beneath the Jewel’s glittering facade: the cruelty, backstabbing, and hidden violence that have become the royal way of life.

Violet must accept the ugly realities of her existence... and try to stay alive. But then a forbidden romance erupts between Violet and a handsome gentleman hired as a companion to the Duchess’s petulant niece. Though his presence makes life in the Jewel a bit brighter, the consequences of their illicit relationship will cost them both more than they bargained for.

My Thoughts:
I requested this book to review on a whim.  I'm so glad I did!  I really enjoyed it.  I liked the concept of the story right away.  Violet has been chosen to be a surrogate and she must birth a designer heir for one of the royal families using the auguries.  I'm still not entirely sure what the auguries are and I wish the author would have explained a little more about them.  I would have also liked to know more about the world the island exists in.  Maybe more of this will be explained in the next book.  I liked Violet and her unwillingness to just accept her circumstances.  But I also begrudgingly liked the Duchess as well.  I think in some way she wants to care about Violet.  I don't know, maybe she'll end up an unexpected ally in the end. I loved how the author weaved the characters together and the way she connected their lives.  This has been one of those stories that's left me excited to find out more.  If you've read The Pledge by Kimberly Derting and liked it then you'll enjoy this one as well. I can't wait to read the next book.   

**Tiny spoiler ahead.**
One thing that I think was over looked was when a certain situation happens between Ash & Violet there would have been some serious fall out.  Considering Violet was being examined all the time and receiving evasive procedures I think the doctor would have noticed some physical changes in a part of her body.  That alone would have gotten her punished severely.

Recommended for 15 & up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you leaving me a comment?! Oh how I love it when you do that!!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Magic Medley and Very Own World kits by Irene Alexeeva