Monday, January 28, 2013

Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Image and description from goodreads.com

Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . . 

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.

My Thoughts:

I know I'm behind on reading this book.  I've wanted to read it for several months and I kept hoping to win it in one of hundreds of giveaway hops I entered.  Then my sweet blog sister gifted it to me.  This book was so worth the wait!!  I love books about the ocean, mermaids and Poseidon is one of my favorite Greek gods.  I soon found out that the Poseidon in this book was nothing like I'd ever heard before.  Anna Banks created such a pragmatic world for her Syrena with all the politics and a social system to follow.  I really enjoyed that all the answers weren't just laid out easily.  The characters had to search to find many of them.  Emma was a likable and I loved her fiery temper.  She takes her new situation and discoveries about herself courageously.  Galen sounds extremely swoon worthy.  He takes a  huge risk helping Emma figure out who she is.  His twin sister was the perfect character to love/hate.  The banter between all the characters added some great comic relief.  The story was well paced and one that I couldn't put down.  Then I get to the end...OH MY CLIFFHANGER!!!  What?!!  I have to wait?  How can I possibly wait?!  Clearly Banks is unfamiliar with my lack of patience when I fall in love with a series.  I suppose that's the bitter-sweet of it though.



8 comments:

  1. YEEEYS!!! This book so so much made of win and awesome!! I can't ever express my love for Anna Banks and Galen!! So happy and excited to see so much love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Danny! I loved this one - I'm so excited the next one comes out really soon! (loved the reverse psychology there with the sister and her fiance hhaha)
      Pabkins @ My Shelf Confessions

      Delete
  2. Ah no, I have regret! I had in my possession a few months ago an ARC of this, but I wasn't too interested and gave it away in a giveaway. Now after reading your review, I might have to pick it up at the library :)

    Sunny @ Blue Sky Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I STILL haven't gotten round to this book. It looks amazing though and I've read so many praising reviews! Poseidon is one of my fave Greek Gods too so I think I'm going to lovee this :) Great review :)

    -Laura
    What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this one either, but its on the wish list. It sounds fab and I'm glad you liked it.

    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to read this one forever as well! But hearing it has a cliffhanger I guess I'm glad to be reading it closer to the release of the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! This book is amazing! I cannot wait for Of Triton :). Great review!

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh Greek Gods! I'll be adding this to my wishlist! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Are you leaving me a comment?! Oh how I love it when you do that!!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Magic Medley and Very Own World kits by Irene Alexeeva