Friday, January 27, 2012

Review for Switched by Amanda Hocking

Switched
When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - a world both beautiful and frightening, and Wendy's not sure she wants to be a part of it.
 
My review - 4 out of 5
 
I must say, this is one of the more original books I've read in a long time. The unique story line was so refreshing. I really expected it to be about faires or the fey, but was surprised that it wasn't. Don't get me wrong I love books about the fey, it was just unexpected. I actually had never heard of the Trylle so this book really captured my interest from the first time the word was introduced. Wendy is a protagonist easy to relate to. Who wouldn't be damaged after their mother tried to stab them on their sixth birthday?! Then to find out you might be exactly what she accused you of. Finn reminds me so much of Dimiti from the Vampire Academy series. For those who haven't read that series (I do recommend it), Finn is honorable and the knight in shining armour type. His biggest flaw, of course, is putting duty before love. The other supporting characters in the book enrich the story and I hope to see more of them. I look forward to seeing Tove's character develop and maybe even seeing some positive emotion from Elora. I can't wait to read the next two in the series. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading fantasy.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous review! I love the cover and your review made me add this one to my list of books to read! I like that it is a unique story and the plot sounds interesting.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am following you back! :)

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Are you leaving me a comment?! Oh how I love it when you do that!!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Magic Medley and Very Own World kits by Irene Alexeeva